Our Orthopedic Surgeons are skilled in treating trauma and fractures. They also are on call for our Emergency Department.
The specific method of fracture treatment depends on:
- The severity of the break
- Whether it is “open” or “closed”. An “open” fracture is particularly serious because it has broken through the skin or a wound has penetrated down to the broken bone and infection in both the wound and the bone can occur.
- The specific bone involved – a broken bone in the spine (vertebra) is treated differently from a broken leg bone or a broken rib
Fracture treatments typically handled in the physicians” office at Henry County Center for Orthopedic Surgery & Sports Medicine include:
- Cast Immobilization with a plaster or fiberglass cast
- Functional Cast or Brace that allows limited or “controlled” movement of nearby joints
- In some cases, the break will repair itself without need of a cast
More serious fractures require surgery at Henry Community Health’s Main Campus.